One of the many things I learned to do well when I went solo was to always have a Plan B.
Specifically a Plan B for what to do when I found myself with extra time on my hands.
Either because a client canceled a call at the last minute. Or a project got postponed. Or a trip I was planning got moved.
With everything that’s going on in the world and in business right now, it’s a good idea to have your own Plan B.
Because it’d be a shame to not take full advantage of the opportunities that come your way over the next few weeks and months, whatever those might be.
So if you suddenly find yourself with little work, have a plan for counteracting that.
And make sure that Netflix binging is not the only item on that list. 😉
If you still have idle time, here are three areas I would focus on:
- Work on yourself:
- Mind: read, take a course, think, journal.
- Body: walk, run, lift weights, do pushups, do some squats, try the Spartacus workout (that one totally kicked my butt this week!)
- Spirit: meditate, pray, sit still.
- Work on your business:
- Courses, classes: you know, the ones you bought and never opened. 😉
- Fixes or improvements you’ve been meaning to make. Didn’t have time before? Now is the time. No excuses.
- Lead magnet: write and publish a simple lead magnet that addresses the current situation and offers useful ideas or tools. Checklists, cheat sheets, templates, swipe files and process maps usually do much better than reports. Keep it simple!
- Launch or catch up on your newsletter: create a batch of evergreen content so you’re way ahead of the game.
- Info product: the one you’ve been meaning to get started on. Revisit the idea, make sure it’s still valid … and start creating one lesson, chapter or piece at a time.
- Work on your relationships:
- Spouse: you’re on lockdown, so work on that relationship so he/she doesn’t leave you as soon as the give us the “all clear.” 😉
- Kids: I’m starting to work with mine on soft skills and practical skills they don’t teach in school.
- Parents: I’m calling them more often, checking in and making sure they’re safe and in good spirits.
- Friends: it’s a great time to catch up and revive some relationships. You have the perfect excuse to do so — you’re checking to see if they’re safe and healthy.
This unprecedented situation is something we’ll talk about for years. Hundreds of books will be written about it.
And when your book is written about your journey during this strange period in history, you’ll want the record to show that you took full advantage of the situation — that you made great lemonade from the lemons handed to you.
Remember: it’s not what happens to you that matters. It’s what you do about it.
Plus … whenever you’re ready, here are 4 ways I can help you grow your freelance business:
1. Grab a free copy of my book for ESTABLISHED writers/copywriters.
You’ll discover how to quickly and predictably reawaken dead leads, generate new client opportunities and convert not-yet-ready prospects into freelance writing clients. — Click Here
2. Download a free copy of my new book for writers who are NEW to freelancing.
I’ll show you the 3 things you need to do to get your business off the ground safely and land your first paying client faster. — Click Here
3. Join my implementation program and be a case study.
I’m putting together a new implementation group this month. If you’d like to work with me to grow your income quickly with better clients (and become one of my new success stories). Just email me at [email protected] and put “Case Study” in the subject line.
4. Work with me privately.
If you’re a 6-figure writer who’s trying to earn more in less time, with less stress, I might be able to help you get there faster than you think. Email me at [email protected] … put “Breakthrough” in the subject line and I’ll get back to you with more details.