How do you feel about outsourcing some of your work?
Most writers I talk with are either completely against this idea. Or they tell me that they’ve tried it and it didn’t work out. Or that they like the concept, but it just wouldn’t work for them.
I get it. I used to feel the same way.
But there’s a big problem with that kind of thinking: it’s one-dimensional. It’s a “yes or no” thing. Purely binary.
I’ve seen enough successful outsourcing examples in the world of freelancing to know that there are many different ways of solving the problem.
And in this week’s short podcast episode, I walk through a four-phase framework for making it work.
The notes that follow are a very basic, unedited summary of the show. There’s a lot more detail in the audio version. You can listen to the show using the audio player below. Or you can subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Key Topics and Bullets:
- Challenges and resistance faced by writers when considering outsourcing
- Benefits of keeping an open mind about outsourcing
- The potential for earning more in less time through outsourcing
- The benefits of a phased approach to outsourcing
- Introduction to the 4-phase framework for onboarding a writer or virtual assistant
- Giving context, instructions, and background information
- Observing the writer in action through phone conversations, in-person meetings, or screencast videos
- Starting to perform the task with guidance and feedback from the writer
- Performing the task or function with minimal supervision or random quality checks
- The time and commitment required for the entire onboarding process
- Emphasizing the importance of patience and a long-term commitment from both parties
- The realistic expectation of using 2 or 3 people before finding the right long-term resource
By the way… whenever you’re ready, here are 4 ways I can help you grow your freelance business:
1. Grab a free copy of my book.
It’s called Earn More in Less Time: The Proven Mindset, Strategies and Actions to Prosper as a Freelance Writer. The title says it all. 😉 — Click Here
2. Get my Business-Building Toolkit.
Too many freelancers lack a critical set of business skills that would enable them to earn more in less time doing work they love for better clients. I’ve taught these skills to my coaching clients for years. And now I’ve packaged it in a way that will enable you to start getting results FAST. — Learn More
3. Join my implementation program and be a case study.
I’m putting together a new implementation group this month. If you’re earning $5k+/month (or the part-time equivalent) from your freelance business … and you’d like to grow your income quickly with better clients … just hit reply and put “Case Study” in the subject line.
4. Work with me privately.
If you’re a 6-figure writer who’s trying to earn more in less time, with less stress, I might be able to help you get there faster than you think. Just hit reply, put “Breakthrough” in the subject line, and I’ll get back to you with more details.