If you’re struggling to get your B2B / commercial writing business off the ground, this episode is for you.
I detail my seven steps for launching a successful freelance writing or copywriting business quickly and more safely.
The notes that follow are a very basic, unedited summary of the show. There’s a lot more detail in the audio version. You can listen to the show using the audio player below. Or you can subscribe to this podcast series in iTunes.
Step 1: Decide on your positioning.
- What you do
- For whom
- What makes you different
- Why that difference matters
The four dimensions to consider when thinking about potential target markets:
#1: Your background, experience, passions, skills and talents
#2: Your network
#3: Do they need to explain and market their products or services?
#4: Would you enjoy the people you’d be working with and the topics you’d be writing about?
Step 2: Write your website copy.
You need the following pages:
- Why Me
- Contact Me
Step 3: Get your website LIVE!
- Consider using a website builder to start (such as Squarespace)
- Remember: This will be your FIRST iteration; it won’t be perfect!
Step 4: Update your LinkedIn profile using your new web copy
- Gives you more credibility as you start prospecting
- Gives you more practice on how to talk about yourself and what you do
- Tons of prospective clients search LinkedIn looking for freelancers to hire. But don’t use it as a crutch. You still have to prospect!
Step 5: Tap your network
- 30% or more of the time your first client will come from this group
- More than likely this first client will be someone who knows someone
- Use email and phone to contact them
Step 6: Make a list of 10 cold and random prospects in your target market
- Target them with a warm email
- Don’t try to create a large list before you start prospecting
- Do this in groups of 10
Step 7: Create another list of 10 cold and random prospects in your target market.
- Rinse and repeat
- You’ll get the hang of it quickly
Final Tip: Having trouble deciding on your target market / niche?
- Start somewhere
- The path will become clear once you start taking action
- Focus on stair-stepping your way to success, not on a windfall
Tired of doing this all on your own?
Need a clear path for getting results faster, landing your first few clients… and showing everyone (including yourself!) that you can do this?